Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuesday's Tales 9.4.12


Hello, my friends.

I have taken a few days off, but now I am back in action.

I hope you had a lovely Labor Day weekend.  We had a great time with friends in Pennsylvania, and we even went apple picking on Sunday!  Summer is over, but I'm trying to keep some exciting things on the horizon so we have lots to look forward to.


Now, for today's Tuesday's Tale, I am going to tell you about an adult book for a change.  Gypsy Boy is a book that I just finished for the book club that I am joining (my first meeting/dinner with this group is coming up next week and I can't wait!), and it was a doozy.  Gypsy Boy is a true story of the author's horrific childhood (and brief glimpses into his adulthood) as a Romany Gypsy, moving from place to place, all the while being "trained" by his father to be an excellent fighter.

Walsh's training began at the age of 4 when his father would routinely beat him severely to try to toughen him up.  He was put into the ring with other boys by the age of 6, and never did he succeed in these fights, causing great shame and embarrassment to his father.  His mother and sister occasionally stepped in to try to protect him, but sadly his father was not the only person in young Walsh's life for him to fear.  To think of a child enduring so much at such a young age is just terrifying.

Despite the heaviness of the subject matter and the life of this young boy, Gypsy Boy is a very interesting book that I would recommend to anyone who is at all curious about learning more of Gypsy life and culture.


No comments: