Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dining Table - Need Chairs!

When I was at Starbucks with P (my daughter) yesterday morning, we happened to be sitting next to a lovely couple with whom I started chatting. As it turns out, they needed a little interior design help, and since you know I love that kind of stuff, I wanted to see if I could help. So, here's the dilemma:

J (the woman) bought this dining room table from Restoration Hardware:

Now, she needs chairs. I was happy to hear that she didn't buy the chairs that Restoration was showing with this table because I really do not like dining sets. However, this leaves her in a bit of a jam because she has two daughters and would like to be able to sit and eat at their new dining table. So I decided to do some looking to see if I could find any chairs that I like (and hopefully, that she will like too). So these are the options:

Traditional

Meyer Chair from Pottery Barn ($179 each on sale; I would get in leather)


Do I love this chair with that table? No, but I do think it is a perfectly acceptable (if a bit boring!) option. Please keep in mind my modern sensibilities here..


Carson Chair
from Crate and Barrel ($129 each)


This one is better...my main problem is the cushion. I like that the cushion adds some lightness to the pairing of these chairs and that table, but I don't like the idea of the ties on the chairs to keep the cushions on (the first chair has a slip seat that can be leather and does not have to be tied into place). Also, how often would you have to clean light-colored chair fabric?


Cafe Chair from Room and Board ($179 each; in Mocha)


This is a very standard chair, but with the table and these chairs, the whole dining table would look very different so there would definitely need to be light colored place settings to make it look less heavy.


Finding chairs that I really like with this table has been very hard for me because I really want to find something that will lighten it up. A traditional wood chair is not going to do that. So, I had to branch out and get a little crazy (I am a huge fan of modern design, after all). Here are my modern options (they are all from Design Within Reach):

Globus Chair in White ($238)

I love the white and delicate metal legs against the heavy dark wood. What an unexpected pairing!


Victoria Ghost Side Chair ($294 each; also comes in white which I think would look great)


This is one of my favorite options because of the traditional design of the chair that has been created in an unusual material (translucent polycarbonate). The traditional design would join the chair and the table nicely, but the lightness of the chair and the material would add a very modern touch.


Kong Side Chair - Polished ($1790 each!; also comes as an arm chair)


This is my other favorite option because it maintains a simple, traditional design, but it would glam up the table with its polished finish. I love the way wood and silver look next to one another.

J, good luck with your search! Hopefully you've seen something that you liked here, but if not, I won't be offended and I hope you find your perfect chairs!

1 comment:

Christen said...

Try Wisteria too. Great prices and great furniture.