Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Kara Walker at The Whitney

Art and design go hand in hand, and oftentimes the line between the two is blurred. So while this blog is devoted to design, occasionally I will post about art that inspires or effects me.

Through February 3rd, "Kara Walker: My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love" is on view at The Whitney. The exhibition includes over 200 works, including a number of her cut paper on wall pieces for which she is so well-known. In previous blogs I have talked about my love for traditional objects with a modern twist, and in a way, Walker's art can be described as traditional with a modern twist. She uses traditional methods (the cut paper silhouette) with modern themes (such as racial identity), and the result is unexpected and thought-provoking.

Here are some of the works from The Whitney's website:



No comments: