Monday, October 15, 2007

Eames chair - highchair or torture device?

I came across this a few times yesterday:



What is it? It is the Eames Molded Plywood Dining Chair, DCM made into a highchair with a tray and two holes for the child's legs.



I am a huge Eames fan, and I love the DCM chair (above). If you've ever sat in it, you probably know just how comfortable it is with its molded seat and backrest. A design winner all around.

The highchair version, however, looks incredibly cruel to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the design and it is far better-looking than our Peg Perego highchair. The two little leg holes seem rather tight and I'm getting antsy just looking at the photograph. The adorable child doesn't seem to mind it one bit, but I cringe looking at how his legs are shoved in the holes right at his knees. I really do love beautiful design, but I wouldn't put my daughter in this for two reasons: 1) I don't like the idea of the child really being stuck in that position (or in any position, for that matter), and 2) I don't think I could get her two squirmy feet and legs through those holes without breaking a sweat!

Here are some other sites that have written about this:

-Eames Hack (a blog by one of the creator's of this highchair)

-Apartment Therapy (probably my favorite design blog)

-Design Sponge (another great design blog)

1 comment:

Aimee K. said...

Scary! I would never be able to get M.A.K. in there! It's a great concept though...I wish I had a more attractive highchair that didn't take up so much space.